butterfly

butterfly
summer 2013

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Paw Paw

Welcome to Sri Lanka and Trinidad and Tobago.  49 countries!







Just a quick entry.  Paw Paws are in bloom this week.  It is a native, but I had never seen one growing up in the suburbs.  We have a small patch at the UMD Demonstration garden.  It is an understory tree and bears fruit that is supposed to taste like vanilla custard.

Asimina triloba


"The pawpaw is the largest edible fruit native to America. Individual fruits weigh 5 to 16 ounces and are 3 to 6 inches in length. The larger sizes will appear plump, similar to the mango. The fruit usually has 10 to 14 seeds in two rows. The brownish to blackish seeds are shaped like lima beans, with a length of 1/2 to 1-1/2 inches. Pawpaw fruits often occur as clusters of up to nine individual fruits. The ripe fruit is soft and thin skinned."© Copyright 1996,1999, California Rare Fruit Growers, Inc.





I planted a paw paw in my backyard last fall.  It is a slow grower and probably wont give fruit for a few years.














flower from the paw paw
From my seed trays:
   


I was very happy  to see the nasturtium seeds germinate.  They are like little stones, so I took a nail file to them to scrape away some of the outer shell.  This is called scarification.  Again, something I learned in my master gardening classes. 










Redbud trees in bloom also.  Another Maryland native.





No comments:

Post a Comment