butterfly

butterfly
summer 2013

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

WEEDS AND OTHER GARDEN PESTS

Oh my!  Welcome to Australia and Ukraine .  That makes 18 countries.


These last couple of weeks have really brought on the weeds.  I hand pull or mow most of the weeds.  Poison ivy -  I will use Roundup for poison ivy.  We react terribly to this weed.




bindweed
I have taken pictures from around my yard the last several weeks to help you identify the most common ones.  When I have more time at the farm,  I'll photograph some more interesting ones.

wild stawberry

red sorrel



poison ivy


garlic mustard
canada thistle
pokeweed




violets


purslane
mallow

ground ivy

buttercup

lambs quarter


Also at the farm, the sugar snap peas are almost ready to harvest.  I have already started cooking chard and beet greens with what is left of the spinach.  Weeded the strawberry bed, and am looking closely for caterpillars on the broccoli. Tied up the tomato plants with twine.





weeded strawberries

sugar snap peas and broccoli

volunteer marigold from last year



The hay is incredible this year.  My husband tells me they got 200 round bales.  You cannot imagine how wonderful the fields smell right now.  Very Sweet,  nothing else like it.




The mountain laurel is blooming in the Catoctin Mountains.  Just beautiful.

















Mr Bear




Biggest pest of all.  Digs holes, pees on my boxwood, half of it is dead.  Don't even ask about the dead bunnies and birds in the back yard.  But, we still love him.


No comments:

Post a Comment