butterfly

butterfly
summer 2013

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

FINDING INSPIRATION

If you are like me, you love looking at other gardens to get ideas for your own garden.  Whether magazines, blogs or gardening books, you always see something and think "I want that in my yard!"


I grew up in a city (Rockville, MD) with parents who grew up in bigger cities (South Bronx and Washington DC.)  There was not a lot of gardening or landscape design in our neighborhood.  We had a small yard that we mowed when needed.  It wasn't until I met my future mother-in-law that I learned you could have a beautiful yard.  She had shade trees and flowering shrubs and annuals.  She also had a lawn service that came regularly and sprayed something that prevented dogs and children from walking in the grass for several days.  Hmmm.

I did learn a lot from her, but I honed my skills after becoming a master gardener,  I learned about Integrated Pest Management. Bottom line, you really don't have to kill all the bugs.  Mother Nature does a lot of the work if you don't poison the good bugs.  I learned about lawn care.  See my post about lawns, there are lots of details.  You don't have to poison everything to have a nice (enough) lawn.  I don't aspire to a weed free,  bug free existence.   When my mother in law passed away, we  inherited her arsenal of chemicals from her garden.  OMG.  They sat in my shed for several years until I saw an article in the paper for a hazardous material drop off in our city.


Living in the Washington DC/ Baltimore/ Virginia area, we are near some of the most beautiful gardens in the world.  Within a few hours we have Mt Vernon, Monticello, Longwood, Winterthur, Oatlands, and the National Arboretum.

I have made trips to these gardens for inspiration, along with just being in a beautiful, peaceful setting.


Monticello, home of Thomas Jefferson:











Mt Vernon, home of George Washington:













Longwood Gardens, Pennsylvania:














Winterthur, Delaware:













Homes of fellow Master Gardeners in Maryland:


Mary's garden




Harriet's garden







Joan's garden

















Master Gardener Demonstration Gardens:















 FREDERICK COUNTY MASTER GARDENER'S DEMO GARDEN




Native path





Vegetable garden










Private Gardens:











Public FREE  Gardens:


BALTIMORE'S  DRUID HILL






BALTIMORE'S

CYLBURN ARBORETUM












BROOKSIDE GARDENS, MONTGOMERY COUNTY MARYLAND:






SUMMER

SAME VIEW IN SPRING


BUTTERFLY EXHIBIT






Oatlands, Leesburg, Virginia:











Today is the last day of winter 2014.  It's been a tough one.  Good riddance.









frozen frog
ahhhh, our wood stove



2 comments:

  1. In terms of killing bugs, we didn’t have to kill them all just to keep our garden in good shape. Because some of them has a good effect on the plants. And in regards of the pictures you shared, it’s truly an inspiration particularly the one in Mt. Vernon, very cool. Thanks for sharing.

    Bethel Woodard @ Sollecito Landscaping Nursery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Landscaping Company In Leesburg VABenitez Landscape and Design is the best landscaping company in Leesburg VA. We are professional landscape contractors for residential and commercial Services Leesburg VA

    ReplyDelete