butterfly

butterfly
summer 2013

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Little Background

4 years ago, my husband Mike and I were looking for a tax deduction.  Kids were grown, mortgage was low.  We had almost no deductions and were giving a lot of money to Uncle Sam in taxes.  After looking around for rental properties, we decided they would always make more townhouses, but they weren't making any more land.  Soooo,  we bought a 32 acre farm with a disgusting house and creepy barn.

After lots of money and sweat (on Mike, Wesley, and Bailey's part),  our farm has turned into a lively, working farm with a very livable house and beautiful barn.

I got to take over the front yard to build a garden of my dreams.  Mike was able to acquire a lot of free, untreated 2x12x16 wood.  (You always want untreated for vegetable gardens so the chemicals aren't picked up by your food.)


Painted!
I will be taking pictures of my garden in the next week or so.  Right now all the work will be indoors.  Alice (my cat) and I were going through my box of seeds to see what I have and what I need to order.








I was able to christen my new garden clogs this weekend while I was out pruning a Japanese Maple tree in my back yard.









2 comments:

  1. Laura, These are beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing!! I am very excited to read and learn from your blog. We started a garden last summer and also participated in volunteering at a community garden. Looking forward to working in the gardens once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Can't wait for the snow to melt.

    ReplyDelete